Quick Weight Loss: Depending on specific circumstances, quick weight loss could act as a boon for someone and bane for the other. Typically, on their (Body Mass Index) the calorie to lose weight from to. But, to lose weight quickly, people resort to VLCDs which stands for Very Low Calorie Diets which are made up of only 800 calories. Initially, these diets were exclusively designed to consider people with 2nd-grade and 3rd-grade obesity.
Consequently, just any “overweight person” should abstain from taking a VLCD of 800 calories or less. In fact, it is advisable to consult the doctor or a registered dietitian before opting for any such fad diets that promise quick weight loss.
If you’re on a diet that ensures quick weight loss, but takes your favorite dishes away from you? If you’re already on your way to losing weight quickly, is it healthy? Below is what you need to think about the havoc throughout your body caused by quick weight loss.
As per to NIN (National Institute of Nutrition), the ideal weight an average fit Indian adult should shed in a month is around 4-5 kgs. Losing more than the recommended weight at a pace faster than what is considered normal, might result in multiple mild health hazards.
Health Hazards Of Quick Weight Loss
1. Nutrient Deficiencies: When you’re on a low-calorie diet, it is challenging to meet the daily recommended intake of essential nutrients like iron, copper, folate, zinc, magnesium, vitamin B12. As a result, many deficiencies start popping up. Deficiencies of the above-mentioned nutrients might lead to:
- Hair loss
- Fatigue and restlessness
- Poor immunity
- Parched skin
- Paleness and anemia
- Muscle cramps
2. Muscle Loss: If you’re losing weight too quickly, it could also suggest that you’re losing more of your muscle mass and water. Several studies show that diets which are low on calorie and all the vital nutrients may hinder the body’s ability to consume calories as much as 23%.
3. Gallstones: The function of the gallbladder is to secrete enzymes that help in breaking down the fat in order for it to be digested seamlessly. When you’re on a low calorie diet and do not consume enough calories, the juices secreted by your gall bladder start to pile up within the gallbladder and result in gallstones. To prevent this, consuming a well-balanced diet is recommended.
4. Sluggish Metabolism: Cutting short of calorie intake for a prolonged period of time can result in a drop of your metabolism. When your body senses that there is not enough food, it drastically decreases your usual ability to burn calories. Hence, calorie counting and considering individual bodily parameters while making a diet chart is considered essential.
Side Effects Of Very Low Calorie Diets (VLCDs)
Reduced calorie intake can impact the amount of energy you have in your hand. As a result, people following VLCDs may experience:
- Irregular menstrual cycle
Hence, How To Lose Weight In A Beneficial Way?
Follow these 7 hacks of losing weight in the ideal way that will not have any ill-effects on your general well-being.
1. Include More Proteinuria Foods: Including more protein-rich foods help in the preservation of your muscle mass, boosts up your metabolism and provides a feeling of long-lasting fullness.
2. Manage Your Sweet Intake: Limit refined carbohydrates/carbohydrate-rich foods like white bread, white rice, pasta and so forth. Though these might not taste sweet, they comprise forms of sugar. Choose healthy carbohydrates, don’t affect your blood sugar levels and are rich in fiber like whole grains, barley, oats, pulses, whole fruits and vegetables.
3. Start Food Journaling: Journaling your daily food intake might prevent you in consuming fewer calories as it develops you a conscious eater.
4. Practice Yoga and Meditation: Practicing yoga regularly helps in speeding up your metabolism and hence results in easy weight loss, while meditating on the other hand helps in keeping your stress levels in check by issuing you enough motivation to rely on the process of weight loss journey.
5. Chew Slowly: Eating or chewing gradually comprehends a profound significance in weight loss. It is because when you chew slowly your brain utilizes this time to decipher whether you’re still starved or not. As a result, your brain doesn’t enable you overeat and you consume only the required amount of calories. Hence, assisting you reduces excess weight or maintains the lost weight.
6. Exercise: Combining exercise and low calorie intake generate a state of calorie deficit in your body, resulting in mass loss. Exercising regularly improves your metabolism, helps reduce excess weight and maintain the lost mass. One of the most effective and efficient forms of exercise to lose weight is HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) as it aids in reducing body fat and weight by preserving the muscle mass. Considered as the most effective, healthy and efficient training to lose weight, unlike other forms of cardio exercises, through HIIT your body keeps burning calories long after your workout ends.
Stressing to lose weight rapidly will bring more perils than perks. Don’t stress. Work hard calmly. Devour your preferred food once a week by keeping the portion size in check. Remember, your ideal body mass is someone’s goal weight. Hence, stay calm and take it slow.