Last Updated: 24th July, 2022
Home Sleep Test (HST): A home sleep apnea test (HST) or home sleep study is a rather simplified breathing, projection that records track of your pulse, oxygen and respiratory effort when worn. It would not completely reflect what’s being tracked with an analysis of overnight sleep. Studies of a night’s sleep offer a more comprehensive overview of the sleep disorders.
Initiative of going for a home sleep test is taking a step in your journey towards quality sleep. The home sleep test (HST) is used to collect information about your sleep and help diagnose sleep apnea. Sleep apnea is a serious sleep disorder that happens when a person’s breathing is interrupted during sleep.
A home sleep test or home sleep apnea test is done through a simple diagnostic kit that can be worn by you at night in the comfort of your own home. It records critical parameters with regard to your sleep. It is the most effortless and efficient way to get your sleep study done instead of staying in a hospital environment to do a hospital based sleep study, especially in this COVID era.
Why One Should Take A Home Sleep Test (HST)?
The home sleep study is prescribed to those who complain of following symptoms:
- Excessive drowsiness during the day
- Waking up gasping or choking
- Chronic fatigue
- Dry mouth or a sore throat on waking up
- Morning headache
- Lack of concentration
- Mood swings
- Elevated blood pressure
- Swelling in the legs
How Does The Home Sleep Testing (HST) Work?
Home sleep test (HST) records your breathing pattern, pulse rate and oxygen levels in blood and this data is later analyzed for cessation of breathing and its impact on pulse rate and oxygen.
Quality sleep is one of the most essential prerequisites for good health. Accordingly, if you have decided to take a step towards a healthful life, booking your Home Sleep Test can be an excellent starting point. Over here are 5 things you must consider before you do a Home Sleep Test:
- Do not sleep during the day: If you are doing your home sleep test (HST) tonight, then it is important you are able to sleep soundly. Avoid your cat naps during the day. Sleeping during the day may delay onset of sleep when you hit the bed at night.
- Do not take caffeine products after 4 pm: It is reasonably recognized that caffeine tends to stimulate us up. Caffeine is a stimulant and delays onset of sleep. Hence prevent caffeinated drinks such as tea and coffee at least 3-4 hours before you snooze.
- Limit water intake 2 hours before bed: HST needs to analyze your sleep and if sleep is interrupted in between then it may take some time again to go back to sleep. But you must know it is totally convenient to wake up as the sensor in the device lets the technician who is reading your data know you were in an upright position for that amount of time.
- Do not exercise in the evening: Exercise causes the body to release endorphins, increases core body temperature and increases heart rate all of which tend to cause alertness in many people. If you are one of them, you must surely prevent the exercises close to bed time.
- Do not undergo stress: The whole point of the test is to analyze your sleep. Hence, restrict excessive worrying and any avoidable stress.
An absolute painless and easy-to-perform procedure in the comfort of your own home.
Depending on the company you have chosen to receive your home sleep test (HST) kit, you can look for instructional videos on YouTube as to how you need to wear the device. Follow the steps, and you are good to go. If you are unsatisfied with one time usage of the kit, you can conduct the test again with fresh batteries.
If you or any of your loved ones are suffering from sleep apnea, please ensure to take the free sleep assessment to check on your sleep or book home sleep study to definitively identify if you have sleep apnea or not. This will empower you to consider the subsequent step towards reaching out to an expert and undergo therapy to treat and manage sleep apnea.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article in the form of text, tips and suggestions comprises general advice for readers/viewers. It is a part of the public awareness initiative by Vilab India. Vilab India does not endorse any brands and is not responsible for their effectuality.