Last Updated: 27th December, 2020
Healthy Gulabi Diwali: Around the corner is a festival of lights, love, abundance and prosperity. To combine with the festive air, this calls for some tasty but nutritious sweets, doesn’t it? Needless to say, there’s a great significance of sweets in all Indian festivals, and no Indian festival is complete without an exchange of sweets, the most common of the lot being ladoos.
In most of the festivals, boondi or motichoor ladoo fills most of the feast tables space, this year, why not try out something unique yet healthy? So, here’s a healthy yet super flavorful ‘Gulab Ladoo Recipe‘ that will make your Diwali a sweet one. Say hello to gulab ladoo. Gulab Ladoo is great for diabetics as it is not a sugar-based recipe.
Ingredients You’ll Require To Make Gulab Ladoo (8-10 Pieces)
- Two cups or 11 deseeded dates
- 10 Figs or Anjeer
- One cup Warm Water
- One cup roughly chopped pistachios
- ¼ cup edible rose petals
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds or khas-khas/li>
- 3 Tbsp ghee + more to grease parchment paper
How To Prepare Gulab Ladoo
- Go for already deseeded dates to minimize the labor. If it is unavailable, you can deseed the seeded ones and keep them aside.
- Roughly chop the pistachios and keep them aside.
- For about 30 minutes soak dates and figs in a bowl of warm water.
- Post soaking, both dates and figs would turn really soft in texture.
- Grind them well until a state of smooth paste is obtained. Mindfully, add as much little water as possible.
- Now, heat a kadhai and add 1 Tbsp ghee to it. Add dates and figs, keep stirring on a medium flame until the mixture tightens up a bit. Now collect them in the center of the kadhai.
- Add the remaining 2 Tbsp ghee to the mixture and stir them occasionally to avoid burning of the mixture at the bottom.
- In about 10 minutes’ time, you would notice the mixture is getting thick, which calls for the addition of edible rose petals, khas-khas and chopped pistachios.
- Keep stirring the mixture until all the ingredients are incorporated well. Switch off the flame and allow it to cool completely.
- In the meanwhile, grease a baking paper sheet and stall it aside.
- Once the mixture turns to room temperature, place it on the baking sheet, apply some ghee on your hands and work the mixture of slow kneading.
- Shape the mixture into balls, twirl them over edible rose petals, fondle them once again and keep aside on a plate.
Here you go, Diwali Special Gulab Ladoo is ready to serve! Refrigerate them until you feast. Interestingly, they remain restored for a long time and have a high shelf life. You can reserve them to savor the flavors even when the festive season is over.
- Energy: 307 cals
- Carbohydrates: 38.1gm
- Protein: 8gm
- Fat: 13.6gm
- Fiber: 5.6gm
Benefits Of Gulab Ladoo
- Dates or Khajoor: Dates are an excellent source of natural aspirin. They ease digestion problems and have laxative effects which help to prevent constipation by increasing bowel movements. They are high in several types of antioxidants, which may help in the prevention of chronic illnesses like diabetes, heart disease.
- Figs or Anjeer: They possess laxative, anti-ulcer, antibacterial and antiparasitic powers. Figs are high in natural sugar, minerals and soluble fiber. An extremely potent source of antioxidants, anjeer or figs are rich in vitamins A and K.
- Pistachios: They are heaped with fibers, minerals and unsaturated fats which can help keep your blood sugar, blood pressure and cholesterol levels in check.
- Dried Rose Petals: Typical plants like rose retain several medicinal properties, and they have been in use for the prevention of many ailments since time immemorial. They are antitumor and anti analgesics by nature. Furthermore, they are exceptionally elevated in antioxidants and phytonutrients. Consumption of phytonutrient-rich foods helps in flushing out the toxins from your body and also enhances the immune system.
- Poppy Seeds: Poppy seeds constitute an excellent source of fiber, plant fats and manganese. Their rich fiber content may improve heart health and reduce constipation. They are equally employed for enhancing fertility.
- Ghee: Ghee is loaded with vitamins A, D, E and K. It is equally rich in dietary fats. It is a potent food for enhancing your immune system. Adding ghee to your meals may help in retaining you mentally, physically and emotionally fit. Other than this, ghee also helps in washing out the impurities from your body.
This Diwali, be guilt-free, grab your healthy yet tasty Gulab Ladoo and other nutrient-packed ingredients. While you enjoy your feast, allow all your fears to take a back seat.
Happy Healthy Gulabi Diwali!